Saturday, January 12, 2008

Contracts are in

Hi All, 

Classes started a week ago, and my students are sending in contracts - agreements to abide by the policies and procedures of the course.  One of the reasons I require contracts is that if I don't, people claim later that they "didn't know" that I don't accept late papers or "had no idea" that attendance is enforced on the discussion boards.  

It not only saves me that trouble, but it also, I think, helps my students focus and retain what policies are important and critical for passing the course.  So will I sometimes feel like a rather mean person for requiring certain software and NEVER accepting a late paper, it's probably for the best.  I send them contracts in return, promising to grade their papers and post their grades in a timely fashion - and provide feedback.  So everyone is making promises.  

So far, 48 of 80 contracts have come back in electronically signed.  They are due by Tuesday at midnight, and then my classes will start in earnest.  

I can't say I feel excited, exactly, but the more contracts I have in hand by Tuesday, the better I will feel about the beginning of the semester.  And 48, on Saturday before they are due, is pretty good.  

No comments: